Natural History Museum of El Salvador (MUHNES) Ecoparque and Saburo Hirao
If you want to combine nature, fun and a learning experience about the natural history of El Salvador, this park will be the perfect choice.
Just 10 minutes from the dowtown San salvador, The Natural History Museum of El Salvador, is also known as Saburo Hirao EcoPark and a place of great educational value.
This park was built in 1976 at the old estate La Gloria with the help of Industrias Unidas Salvadoreñas (IUSA), a subsidiary of the Japanese company Yotobo Co. The name “Saburo Hirao “ is from the Japanese manager who helped with the donation.
Hirao wanted to have a place of healthy recreation for Salvadoran children, a place surrounded by nature, so the park retains more than 75 different species of trees, and has numerous gardens with waterfalls and fountains, some of them with an oriental style.
Within its 11 acres, this park also houses the Natural History Museum of El Salvador (MUHNES), a place of great importance for the studies on local biodiversity including fossils found in the El Salvador.
The museum has three permanent exhibition rooms where you can learn about nature with information discovered by leading biologists and paleontologists from El Salvador and from abroad.
1. Rocks and Mineral Room: where you will see the display of different types of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. Minerals such as pink opal collected in the province of Santa Ana and much more.
2. Hall of Paleontology: shows the remains of creatures that lived in El Salvador 10 million years ago. Amazing fossils and items like: a skull replica of a saber-toothed tiger, mastodon molars as well as impressions of fish, frogs and leaves found on sedimentary rocks from at the province of San Vicente. Also a mastodon molar found by David J. Guzmán in early 1900, and Ilobasco, province of Cabañas.
3. Ecosystem room: where they recreate a cloud forest (such as Montecristo National Park, province of Santa Ana), a tropical dry forest (such as San Diego, near Metapán, province of Santa Ana) and a mangrove ecosystem.
You will also find collections relating to mammalogy, ornithology, herpetology and botany Malacology. You can even check materials, publications and collections made by biologists and paleontologists in the library open to all visitors.
Visit this exceptional place that houses countless information from El Salvador’s prehistoric times.
How to get there:
Address: Barrio San Jacinto, end of Los Viveros St, Cologne Nicaragua, San Salvador. Near the National Zoo and the National Institute of Childhood and Adolescence.
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl = es&q = a Map Saburo Hirao&fun = On2, or.r_gc.r_pw. & To = 1 & ie = UTF-8 & sa = N & tab = wl
Route 2 (National Zoo and San Jacinto), Route 12 and 11B minibuses. Fares from US$ 0.25.
Contact phone: (503) 2270-9228 / (503) 2270-1387
Hours: Wednesdays to Sundays: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (no lunch break).
- General US$ 0.60
- Children under 7 years and elderly: FREE
Parking: US$ 1.00
Available on Facebook as MUHNES (Natural History Museum of El Salvador)
• Discussions are held concerning the contents of the museum. There is free guide service inside the museum and through the park trails. Temporary exhibitions are held and there is a specialized library and cafeteria service.
http://www.museoscentroamericanos.net / el_salvador_museos / historia_natural / historia_natural.htm
Elevation 2265 feet
N 13 ° 40,529 ‘
In 89 ° 11,834 ‘
NOTICEThe information presented in this Promotion Listing Services and destinations of El Salvador is a reference guide. Prices, rates, promotions or details such as the number of people, opening hours, input or output times, meal times, Cymbal ingredients, duration of tours, Sites on tour etc.. and phone numbers, websites or email addresses and physical, and other data can change without prior notice of the hotels, restaurants, Tour operators, inns and other businesses in the tourism industry in this digital catalog. The Ministry of Tourism and the Salvadoran Tourism Coorporación, and its advertising agency and any other company or individual subcontracted for lifting and collection of this information has no responsibility for any variation in the data. It is always suggested to respective queries to verify.